From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
MESA Membership Passes Bylaw Amendment Removing 'Non-Political' Clause and Affirming 501(c)3 Status
The general membership of the Middle East Studies Association (MESA) has approved (with 81% of voters supporting) a bylaw amendment that does two things: first, it removes term "non-political" from its self-description; second, it reaffirms the committment to operating in accordance with its 501(c)3 status.
The amendment was introduced by a diverse array of MESA members during the business meeting of the 2016 Annual Meeting. It was then that those in attendance voted 247-57 in favor of putting the amendment up to a general membership vote, which was held between 1 February and 15 March 2017. According to the organization's bylaws, the amendment needed to be supported by a two-thirds majority of votes cast.
Since the business meeting, the debate around the bylaw amendment featured genuine discussion, questions, and concerns around the nature and future of MESA as an academic association. However, the voting period also featured the odd intervention of first-time MESA member Carry Nelson. A number of long-time MESA members spoke out in favor of the resolution to convince their colleagues who were either unsure or skeptical of the resultion:
- Twelve Former MESA Presidents Endorse Bylaw Amendment
- Asli Bali, John Chalcraft, and Elyse Semerdjian on Why They Support the Amendment
- Solidarity Statement by Several Organizations in Favor of the Bylaw Amendment
- Never Gordon Takes on Carry Nelson in The Chronicle of Higher Education
At approximately 4:15pm on Friday 17 March 2017, the Secretariate of MESA emailed all members indicating that the bylaw amendment passed, with 81% of votes in favor of the amendment.
Recent Posts by Jadaliyya Reports
- The Syrian Uprising Six Years On: Causes, Dynamics, Prospects, GMU Lecture by Jadaliyya Co-Editor Bassam Haddad Mar 21 2017
- Joint Statement Regarding the anti-Semitic, anti-Black, anti-Arab and anti-Muslim Posters on UIC’s Campus Mar 21 2017
- Text of Resignation Letter by ESCWA Executive Secretary Rima Khalaf Mar 18 2017
- UN Report Establishes Israeli Apartheid; Fallout Begins Mar 17 2017
About Reports Page
Jadaliyya’s Reports Page is a forum for disseminating statements, images, and videos produced by people on the ground in the region, as well as highlighting events and publications from/about the region. As such, the Reports Page features a broad range of content, including eye witness accounts of events (in textual, photgraphic, or video format), statements and press releases of interest, calls for participation in events and publications, report-backs from various events, and reports published by different local, regional and international organizations. Inclusion on the Reports Page does constitute endorsement of the analysis, but rather a means of highlighting items of interest produced through other organizations and publications. If you have questions or comments, or would like us to consider featuring something on the Reports Page, please email us at Reports@jadaliyya.com.
إتهم المتحدث بإسم الإخوان المسلمين عصام العريان المتظاهرين الفئويين بتقويض الإجماع الوطني وأبدى "تفهما ً" إزاء وجهة نظر الجيشclick | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- قصائد للشاعر أمبرتو سابا، المجلد الاول
- Critical Currents in Islam Media Roundup (March 6 - March 19)
- Maghreb Media Roundup (March 23)
- واقع الزراعة في فلسطين: مقابلة لمجلة الوضع مع فؤاد أبو سيف
- Yemen's War [Ongoing Post]
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (March 22)
- Media on Media Roundup (March 21)
- Joint Statement Regarding the anti-Semitic, anti-Black, anti-Arab and anti-Muslim Posters on UIC’s Campus
- Egypt Media Roundup (March 20)
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (March 13-19)
- Jadaliyya Monthly Edition (February 2017)
- New Texts Out Now: Karine Walther, Sacred Interests: The United States and the Islamic World, 1821-1921
- Palestine Media Roundup (March 19)
- مختارات من الصحافة العربية 17 آذار
- المنظمات الأهلية الفلسطينية: مقابلة لمجلة الوضع مع طارق دعنا
- Text of Resignation Letter by ESCWA Executive Secretary Rima Khalaf
- MESA Membership Passes Bylaw Amendment Removing 'Non-Political' Clause and Affirming 501(c)3 Status
- UN Report Establishes Israeli Apartheid; Fallout Begins
- Between Slow and Sudden Death in Turkey
- Call for Action: Solidarity with Purged Academics for Peace in Turkey